With Ethan Nichtern, Assistant Faculty and Guest Teachers
Next Course: How The Personal Becomes Interpersonal – Finding The Bodhisattva Warrior Within
April 2 – May 28, 2019
Tuesday Lectures, 7-9pm
Saturday Meditation & Discussions, 2-3pm
All classes recorded for later usage if you can’t join live.
This second course in our Online Buddhist Studies program covers the all-important transition from a view of awakening that is internal and personal to one that is shared and interpersonal. We will focus on three major bodies of teachings from classic and contemporary Buddhism for making this transition. On the practice level, we focus on the brahmaviharas (the divine immeasurables) and take our understanding and experience of lovingkindness and other related meditations deeper. On the philosophical/psychological level, we dive into the teachings of the Yogacara (Mind-Only) system, which describes how consciousness functions and projects. And on the level of social imagination, we deeply explore the 6 realms of confused existence, which describe how the mind creates realms of experience in relation to other minds.
This 9 (9!) Week course includes 7 lectures by Ethan Nichtern, 8 Saturday talk/discussion groups with faculty members, and two guest lectures (April 23 and May 28) by David Nichtern and Sharon Salzberg, respectively. Faculty Bios Here
Recommended for any student who is not a brand new beginner to mindfulness meditation.
Main Course Readings for those students who would like further studies:
The Road Home by Ethan Nichtern (from Course 1)
Living Yogacara by Tagawa Shun’ei
Lovingkindness by Sharon Salzberg
Awakening from the Daydream by David Nichtern
PDFS and other readings also available
Course 1 – Entering The Path: Deeply Understanding Meditation, Karma, and Freedom from Suffering
Tues January 22 – March 12, 2019
Course 2 – How The Personal Becomes Interpersonal: Finding The Bodhisattva Warrior Within
Tues April 2 – May 21, 2019
Course 3 – Emptiness and Compassion: Overcoming Spiritual Bypassing
Tues June 4 – July 23, 2019
Course 4 – Introduction to Tantra: Wisdom is Already Present
Tues August 13 – Oct 1, 2019
Course 5 – Warrior In The World: The Path of Complete Engagement
October 15 – December 3, 2019
– Weekly group meditation and discussion sessions on Saturdays led by assistant teachers.
– Classes occur live every Tuesday evening (7-9pm eastern). Classes will be recorded via Zoom if you miss class. An additional guided meditation and discussion class will be led by a faculty member every Saturday from 2-3pm EST.
– Good for students of all experience levels: suggested readings and study materials will be divided into beginner, intermediate, and “geek” categories.
– Designed to be deeply practical as well as occasionally geeky, to give you a deep overview of a complete Buddhist path, with an emphasis on the psychological, metaphysical, and socially engaged elements.
– All Live Sangha students will be assigned a “quad” of fellow participants to support each other’s regular practice in-between classes.
– Audit-Only Option Available: If you do not want the live class, community, or access to faculty, you can simply receive the recordings and reading list for a reduced rate.
Patron Price (for those who can support someone who can’t pay the basic rate): $280 per course (8 Weeks)
Basic Price: $210 per course (8 Weeks)
Audit Price (Tues/Sat Recordings and Reading List Only): $95 per 8-week course OR $400 for entire year audit
Installment Plans Available: Click the option below if you would like to figure out a plan to pay monthly for the yearlong course.
Reduced Rate Available: If you would like to be considered for a scholarship or reduced rate, we will try to accommodate all the requests we possibly can, which depends on the number of Patron and Basic student enrollments we receive. Just register below clicking the option of “Special Payment Arrangement” and we will get back to you shortly.