With Ethan Nichtern, Assistant Faculty and Guest Teachers
Next Course: Emptiness and Compassion: The Bodhisattva Path
(Scroll down to sign up to audit any of the five courses, the full year audit program, or to sign up for individual guest lectures with David Nichtern, Sharon Salzberg, and Dr. Shanté Smalls.)
June 4 – July 23, 2019
Tuesday Lectures, 7-9pm
Saturday Meditation & Discussions led by Faculty Teachers, 2-3pm
All lectures recorded in audio and video format for those who can’t attend live. Guest lecture on July 9th with Dr. Shante Smalls.
This course will take us deep into the transformative compassion meditation practice of tonglen, and give us some tools and community support for navigating the difficult but crucial path of the bodhisattva, the one who dedicates their life to helping both self and others. Topics will include: Understanding Emptiness and The Heart Sutra, Clarifying Intention, Compassion Without Enabling (“Idiot Compassion), Overcoming Spiritual Bypassing, and The Six Transformative Practices (Paramitas).
Live attendance and audit students welcome to join. If you are brand new to meditation, please begin with Course 1 (audit option listed below).
Suggested Books (If you can afford to purchase books, we recommend the following):
The Road Home: A Contemporary Exploration of the Buddhist Path by Ethan Nichtern (will use throughout the year)
The Other Shore by Thich Nhat Hanh
Becoming Bodhisattvas (No Time to Lose, former title) by Pema Chodron
Course 1 – Entering The Path: Deeply Understanding Meditation, Karma, and Freedom from Suffering
Tues January 22 – March 12, 2019
Course 2 – How The Personal Becomes Interpersonal: Finding The Bodhisattva Warrior Within
Tues April 2 – May 21, 2019
Course 3 – Emptiness and Compassion: Overcoming Spiritual Bypassing
Tues June 4 – July 23, 2019
Course 4 – Introduction to Tantra: Wisdom is Already Present
Tues August 13 – Oct 1, 2019
Course 5 – Warrior In The World: The Path of Complete Engagement
October 15 – December 3, 2019
– Weekly group meditation and discussion sessions on Saturdays led by assistant teachers.
– Classes occur live every Tuesday evening (7-9pm eastern). Classes will be recorded via Zoom if you miss class. An additional guided meditation and discussion class will be led by a faculty member every Saturday from 2-3pm EST.
– Good for students of all experience levels: suggested readings and study materials will be divided into beginner, intermediate, and “geek” categories.
– Designed to be deeply practical as well as occasionally geeky, to give you a deep overview of a complete Buddhist path, with an emphasis on the psychological, metaphysical, and socially engaged elements.
– All Live Sangha students will be assigned a “quad” of fellow participants to support each other’s regular practice in-between classes.
– Audit-Only Option Available: If you do not want the live class, community, or access to faculty, you can simply receive the recordings and reading list for a reduced rate.
Patron Price (for those who can support someone who can’t pay the basic rate): $280 per course (8 Weeks)
Basic Price: $210 per course (8 Weeks)
Audit Price (Tues/Sat Recordings and Reading List Only): $95 per 8-week course OR $400 for entire year audit
Installment Plans Available: Click the option below if you would like to figure out a plan to pay monthly for the yearlong course.
Reduced Rate Available: If you would like to be considered for a scholarship or reduced rate, we will try to accommodate all the requests we possibly can, which depends on the number of Patron and Basic student enrollments we receive. Just register below clicking the option of “Special Payment Arrangement” and we will get back to you shortly.